The foundation of a high-quality early childhood, nationally accredited program is using program and early learning/development standards as a guide to effectively implement and individualize a meaningful program. Recognizing and implementing the best practices of early childhood’s position-statements as well as various standards enables our decisions, policies and daily interactions to be continuously motivated by a mix of developmental theories and approaches.
The Morning program is the foundation of which all enrolled PCP students are a part.
The Morning Program is for preschool age students ages 2.5 to 5 years old. Students can come just for the morning or for the morning and various afternoon enrichment classes. Most students enroll in the preschool for 3 or 4 consecutive school years depending on their birthdate.
- SonShine Kids (Parent & Me Class) Starts at 18 months or 2 years-old
- Littles (26 months by September 1st)
- Beginners (35 months by September 1st)
- Explorers (41 months by September 1st)
- Kinder Readiness (53 months by September 1st)
- Kindergarten Program (5 years old by September 1st)
There are many schedule options ranging from two, three, four, and five mornings per week with a combination of one, two, three, and four afternoons depending on the age group and availability. There are also mixed day schedules offering a variety of options for parents.
Early Morning Drop-Off
Drop off your child a half-hour early before school starts and he/she will be supervised in the classroom or playground. This program is available for Beginners, Explorers, or Kinder Readiness students. Two sessions per school year, advance payment and sign-up required. Please note there is not any refund due to illness, vacation, or early withdrawal.
Specialty Enrichment Classes
Specialty Enrichment classes are intentional theme-based classes offered in the afternoon as an extension to the morning program. Specialty Enrichment classes are scheduled in 4-week increments.
- Must attend the morning session to extend to the afternoon Speciality Enrichment Class
- Available 1, 2, 3, or 4 afternoons
- Example of Themes:
- La Petite Galleria (an expression of exploring different art mediums)
- Seuss is Loose (Green Eggs & Ham anyone? Themed projects all about Dr. Seuss)
- Potential Paleontologists (Fossils, dinosaurs and extinct plants & animals)
- Princesses & Pirates (Ahoy Mates! Exploration fully of fairy take and treasures)
Discovery Kid Zone (DKZ)
The Afternoon Enrichment extended day program for students enrolled in either the Explorers or Kinder Readiness Program
- Must attend in the morning session to extend to the afternoon enrichment DKZ session
- 2, 3, 4 afternoons
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday afternoon to fit with the corresponding morning schedule
Indicators of a Quality Program
- Low teacher-student ratios. At PCP our ratios are between 1:6 to 1:10 depending on the age group.
- Low group sizes: At PCP our group sizes are between 12 and 20 depending on the age group.
- Highly qualified teachers with a commitment to continuity and early childhood ethics.
- Children follow their own individual patterns, which vary greatly from child to child.
- Children feel safe and secure in their environment.
- Children have plenty of activities that offer just enough challenge. They are not easy but do not lead to frustration.
- Children connect what they learn from past experiences to current interests. Teachers adapt to the student’s ever-evolving mind as this is how the young child learns.
- Children have plenty of opportunities to explore and play.
- Teachers nurture children’s language in English as well as their home language. They talk, listen, and provide opportunities to share ideas and feelings.
- Teachers read to children every day, individually, in small groups and as a whole class.
- Teachers help children get the most out of every learning situation. They make comments, ask questions, and add new challenges as children are ready for them. (naeyc.org)