One of the foundational markers of a high-quality early childhood, nationally accredited program is that we thrive in a standard based environment as this is what unites us as a faculty and staff. Driven by these standards and an array of position statements that are written by early childhood researchers and experts; our decisions, policies and daily interactions are motivated by a mix of developmental theories and best practices as our guide.
This is the basis for how we create all of our core and auxiliary programs. The Morning program is the foundation of which all enrolled PCP students are a part.
The Morning Program is for preschool age students ages 2.5 to 5 years-old. Students can come just for the morning or for the morning and afternoon enrichment classes called DKZ (available to Explorers and Kinder Readiness students). Most students enroll in the preschool for 3 or 4 consecutive school years depending on their birthdate.
- SonShine Kids (Parent & Me Class) Starts at 18 months or 2 years-old
- Beginners 2.5 by December 1st, (30 – 42 months)
- Explorers 3 by December 1st, (42-54 months)
- Kinder Readiness 4 by December 1st, (48-60 months)
There are many schedule options ranging from two, three, four and five mornings per week with a combination of two, three and four afternoons depending on the age group and availability. There are also mixed day schedules in some classes offering a variety of options for parents. Some classes and age groups have quite a bit of popularity and have a wait list. We highly encourage you to not hesitate if you are interested in our school especially for a specific class/schedule. Space is limited.
We also offer some great programs for our kids for extra time at Preschool with friends.
Early Morning Drop-Off
Drop off your child a half-hour early before school starts and he/she will be supervised on the classroom or playground. This program is available for Beginners, Explorers or Kinder Readiness students. Two sessions per school year, advance payment and sign-up required. Please note there is not any refund due to illness, vacation, or early withdrawal.
Lunch Bunch is a program for all students, Beginners, Explorers and Kinder Readiness and offers children an opportunity to socialize and enjoy lunch together. At the conclusion of the morning session, a staff member will escort students from their morning classes to the Lunch Bunch session. Parents pick up children from the room or playground designated for Lunch Bunch. Parents may sign their child up per session and is only offered if enough students sign up each session. Subject to cancellation and based on enrollment.
Indicators of a Quality Program
- Low teacher student ratios. At PCP our ratios are between 1:6 to 1:10 depending on the age group.
- Low group sizes: At PCP our group sizes are between 12 and 20 depending on the age group.
- Highly qualified teachers with a commitment to continuity and early childhood ethics.
- Children follow their own individual patterns, which vary greatly from child to child.
- Children feel safe and secure in their environment.
- Children have plenty of activities that offer just enough challenge. They are not easy, but do not lead to frustration.
- Children connect what they learn from past experience to current interests. Teachers adapt to the students ever evolving mind as this is how the young child learns.
- Children have plenty of opportunities to explore and play.
- Teacher’s nurture children’s language in English as well as their home language. They talk, listen and provide opportunities to share ideas and feelings.
- Teachers read to children every day, individually, in small groups and as a whole class.
- Teachers help children get the most out of every learning situation. They make comments, ask questions and add new challenges as children are ready for them. (naeyc.org)